Our air fryer stuffed peppers recipe makes for a quick dinner loaded with beef, sausage, rice, and cheese! These stuffed peppers in the air fryer cook in half the time as they do in the regular oven!
I was never a huge bell pepper fan growing up, but now I’m a sucker for the red ones!
I’ll leave the green bell peppers for literally anyone else, but you’ll have to fight me for the sweet red peppers! Whether they’re raw and crisp or cooked and tender, I love them!
We make stuffed peppers often here, filled with a blend of beef and sausage, loaded with rice and cheese, and baked until tender. Baked?! Yeah…not anymore. Now we’re making them in the air fryer!
Air Fryer Stuffed Peppers cook in about half the time they would in the oven!!
Peppers -You’ll need 4 large peppers. Look for ones that are somewhat flat on bottom so you can stand them up. Any color works – we prefer the sweeter red variety, but green, yellow, or orange are all fine.
Filling– We’re using a mixture of lean beef, Italian sausage, rice, and tomatoes.
Seasoning – We keep things simple and season with onion, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, and Italian seasoning.
Cheese– We usually go for shredded cheddar, but whatever cheese you have in your fridge should work fine.
How to Make Stuffed Peppers in an Air Fryer:
Brown the meat – Brown the beef and Italian sausage together, crumbling it as it cooks.
Filling – Add the onions and garlic to the skillet and let those soften. Stir in the rice, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and seasoning. Mix well.
Prepare the peppers- Rinse the peppers and dry them off. Cut the tops and make sure they fit in your air fryer standing upright. Remove the seeds and membranes from the peppers and throw them away.
Air fry the peppers- Add your peppers to the air fryer keeping them upright. If you are struggling to keep them upright you can use little balls of foil to help them stand upright. Spoon the filling from your skillet into the peppers. Air fry for 12-15 minutes at 360 degrees F. Sprinkle the tops of the pepper with cheese and let it sit in the air fryer for one additional minute.
This recipe does not require boiling the peppers before cooking them. We fill them and let the raw peppers cook in the air fryer. They’ll be tender crisp when done.
A simple green salad or steamed or roasted vegetable is the perfect side dish for stuffed peppers.
YES! You can freeze them in individual freezer bags and then reheat them in the air fryer when ready to eat again. Reheat at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes.
Recipe Tips and Substitutions
If you are a pepper lover, you can save the tops of the peppers and dice them up. Then later add them to the filling in the pepper or save them for another use.
Did you know that red bell peppers are just a more ripe green bell pepper? The more red the pepper, the riper it is and the sweeter it will be!
More recipes you might like:
Let us know your opinion!
We’d love to hear what you think of this recipe! Leave a comment and star rating down below! And don’t forget to pin and share!
Air Fryer Stuffed Peppers
- 4 bell peppers any color
- ½ pound ground beef
- ½ pound Italian sausage
- ¼ cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ½ cups cooked rice
- 15 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 4 ounces canned tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Rinse the bell peppers and pat dry. Remove the tops and make sure the peppers will fit in your air fryer standing upright. Remove as much of the top as necessary to ensure they fit. Remove the seeds and membranes from the peppers and discard. Set peppers aside. Dice the tops, if desired, to add to the filling.
- Add the beef, sausage, onion, and diced pepper tops, if using, to a large skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring often to break up the meat, until meat is cooked through.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more, stirring often.
- Add in the rice, diced tomatoes (undrained), tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Arrange the peppers in the air fryer basket, using small balls of foil if necessary to help them stand up straight. Leave space between each pepper for air to low.
- Carefully spoon the filling into each pepper.
- Air fry at 360 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until peppers are as tender as you'd like.
- Sprinkle the tops of the pepper with cheese and return to the air fryer for 1 minute to melt the cheese.