This HOMEMADE POP TARTS recipe is filled with brown sugar and cinnamon with a flaky crust. We also added a sweet cinnamon glaze to the top to make this copy cat pop tart absolutely perfect!
Everyone loves pop tarts, or toaster strudels, or toaster pastries, or whatever you want to call them. But couldn’t they be a little better?
Like, what if they had more filling? What if they had more glaze? What if the crust wasn’t so dry (we all know that is the worst part).
The solution? Make it yourself at home!
The homemade pop tarts recipe below will result in the perfect brown sugar and cinnamon pop tart you ever did try.
How to make homemade Pop Tarts:
- Start with a box of refrigerated pie dough. We’re making homemade poptarts here, but we also don’t want to spend all day doing it.
- Cut your pie crust dough into 3 inch by 4 inch squares. It is more important that they are all the same size, than it is that they are exactly 3 by 4 inches. You will be stacking these on top of each other later.
- Whisk the egg with a bit of water until it is smooth and brush it onto the top of half of your crust pieces.
- Stir together the filling ingredients, brown sugar, cinnamon, and flour.
- Spread out this brown sugar filling on top of the brushed egg. Leave a gap around the edges to seal the crust later.
- Top these with the other crust halves that were not brushed with egg. Use a fork to crimp the edges.
- Brush the tops of these now assembled squares with egg.
- Cook in air fryer for 8-10 minutes
How to make the brown sugar glaze:
- Whisk together powdered sugar, vanilla, cream, and cinnamon.
- If you wish to thin out the glaze add additional cream very slowly.
- Let the tarts cool for about 5 minutes before applying glaze.
- Apply the glaze as liberally as you wish.
- Let the glaze cool and firm up for about 15 minutes before serving.
Air Fryer Recommendation:
We use and love the OMORC 6 qt air fryer. It’s large enough that we’re not cooking things in a million batches, it’s dishwasher safe, and it cooks evenly. We’ve had it for years now and it’s held up perfectly with lots of use.
More recipes you might like:
- These apple hand pies are very similar to to our poptarts, and I know you’ll love them!
- Mongolian beef cooked in the air fryer is an ideal savory dish.
- Air Fryer Hamburgers are the perfect dinner. Always juicy and flavorful.
Let us know your opinion!
We’d love to hear what you think of this recipe! Leave a comment and star rating down below! And don’t forget to pin and share!
For the tarts:
- 2 refrigerated pie crusts
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1 large egg
For the glaze:
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream, plus more as needed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Roll out one pie crust into a 12 inch circle. Cut into 6 3x4 inch rectangles, rerolling the dough as needed. Repeat with the other crust. Whisk the egg with 1 tablespoon of water until smooth.
- Arrange half of the dough pieces on a work surface and brush with the egg wash.
- In a small bowl stir, together the brown sugar, cinnamon, and flour until combined.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar mixture evenly between each piece of dough, about 1 1/2 tablespoons each, leaving a gap around the edges.
- Top with the remaining pieces of pie crust and use a fork to crimp the edges to seal. Brush the tops with the egg wash.
- Place in a 350 degree preheated air fryer for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. You will need to work in batches so as not to overcrowd the air fryer.
- Remove from the air fryer and let cool before glazing.
- To make the glaze, whisk together the powdered sugar, cream, vanilla, and cinnamon. Add additional cream to thin the glaze to your desired consistency.
- Spoon the glaze over the tops of the cooled tarts and let set for 15 minutes before serving.
To warm, place in the air fryer for 1-2 minutes at 350 degrees.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 poptart
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 382Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 257mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 2gSugar: 26gProtein: 5g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information is accurate.