This APPLE HAND PIE RECIPE is extra easy and super quick thanks to the air fryer! We glaze these pies with a simple vanilla glaze so they’re perfectly sweet and perfect for fall.
There are lots of ways to make pie, but really only three ways to eat a pie. You can eat it with a fork. You can eat it like a sandwich. Or you can eat it with your hands behind your back in a pie eating contest.
Even though the last option is the most fun, it is also the messiest and least practical. So I ruled that out quickly.
Instead, when I had a craving for an apple pie I chose to go with a hand pie thinking it would be the easiest. So I went to the store, bought as few items as possible and popped out the air fryer and everything came together perfectly!
I love shortcut desserts like this!
How to make apple hand pies:
- Unroll each pie crust and cut four circles out of each of them.
- Place 1-2 tablespoons of canned pie filling in each circle, being careful not to overfill.
- Fold over the circles to cover the pie filling and use a fork to crimp the edges.
- Place pies in an even layer in your air fryer. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may have to make 2 or 3 batches.
- Cook for 10 minutes or until the crust is lightly golden.
- Let the pies then cool for 20 minutes before glazing.
How to make apple pie glaze:
Use a fork to stir together powdered sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth.
Dunk each apple pie into the glaze to cover it.
Place the glazed pies on a wire rack over a baking sheet to collect the mess from excess glaze dripping off until the glaze sets. This should take about 15 minutes.
Hand pie pro tips:
- If you want to freeze the hand pies for later consumption, you should freeze them before frying them. They will taste best that way. You can freeze after frying them, but either way you will want to make fresh glaze and apply after cooking or reheating them again.
- You can use any pie filling you want! It doesn’t have to be apple, and the recipe will work the same. Get creative!
- If you don’t want the hassle of dealing with the glaze, I have had these with powdered sugar sprinkled on them and they were still amazing! You could also use a cinnamon and sugar mix, or even some chocolate. Do what you think tastes best here.
Notes about using an air fryer:
We’ve tested a few air fryers and keep coming back to the same one. We use the OMORC six-quart air fryer. It is big enough to cook everything I need in one batch and dishwasher safe.
Aerosol cans of non-stick spray are not recommended for air fryer use. They will damage your air fryer over time. Instead you should use a pump spray bottle to apply your cooking oil.
More recipes you might like:
- Another dessert recipe we love to share is air fried Oreos!
- This air fryer bratwurst is topped with a beer cheese dip for an easy lunch.
- An extra crispy-skinned loaded baked potato is also great for a lunch or side dish!
- 2 refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 cup canned apple pie filling
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Unroll the pie crusts and use a 4 inch round cookie cutter to cut 4 circles out of each pie crust.
- Place 2 tablespoons of pie filling in each circle and fold the circles over to cover the pie filling. Use a fork to crimp the edges closed.
- Place the pies in an even layer in the air fryer. You may need to work in batches depending on the size of your air fryer.
- Cook at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until the crust is lightly golden.
- Set pies aside to cool for 20 minutes before glazing.
- To make the glaze, beat together the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla until smooth.
- Use a fork to carefully dunk each pie in the glaze to coat.
- Set pies on a wire rack over a baking sheet to allow excess glaze to drip off and glaze to set.
Be careful not to overfill the pies as you won't be able to get them to seal all the way.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 hand pie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 331Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 196mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 2gSugar: 34gProtein: 3g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information is accurate.