We love cooking bratwurst in the air fryer! The brats cook perfectly throughout and leave the outside of the brat just a little crispy. The beer cheese sauce really takes these brats over the top!
Having brats on the grill is a summer favorite of course. But what do you do when you plan on grilling and the weather gets in the way? Bust out the air fryer.
This bratwurst recipe is even easier in the air fryer! No need to wait for the grill to heat up, brave the weather, or scrape things down after cooking. Just pop them in the air fryer and devour them!
Take these air fryer brats over the top with a special topping: Beer Cheese Sauce!
The beer cheese gives a nice thick cheesy sauce to put on the sausage and the combo just works great!
As a bonus, if you are making brats with air fryer hot dogs, the cheese works great with the dogs too!
For the brats– Grab some fresh hot dog buns and the bratwurst. To pair with the volume of beer cheese sauce, and to fit your air fryer nicely, five is a good number of each.
For the beer cheese sauce– You will need butter, flour, beer, milk, shredded cheddar, smoked paprika, and chives.
Skip the chives if you hate them, but I love them.
Your milk can be pretty much any type of milk.
For the shredded cheddar, freshly shredded cheddar will melt much better and make a slightly better sauce than a pre-shredded packaged cheddar. Consider shredding yourself if you want a little improvement to the recipe!
How to Cook the Brats in an Air Fryer:
This post contains affiliate links. As a member of Amazon and other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
There isn’t much to this! Preheat your air fryer to 360 degrees Fahrenheit.
Put your brats in the air fryer. Be sure to use uncooked brats for this recipe, not the pre-cooked kind that you can just microwave. 😉
Don’t stack them, and leave room around the brats for air to move around them.
Then cook them for 15 minutes flipping halfway through. When done the internal temp should be 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
How to Make Beer Cheese Sauce:
Add the butter to a saucepan and let it melt over medium heat.
Next whisk in the flour and continue to cook for one minute.
Now whisk in the milk and beer and keep whisking over medium heat as the sauce thickens. It should be the consistency of a thin gravy and take about 5 minutes.
After that, turn off the heat and stir in your cheddar and paprika.
Adding the cheese to the sauce while it’s still on the heat is what contributes to a grainy, gritty cheese sauce. No bueno.
Shop our Favorite Air Fryers!
We’ve tested loads of air fryers over the years and narrowed it down to the best of the best! Whether you’re looking for a basket-style air fryer that fits nicely on your countertop or you want the toaster oven-style air fryer, we’ve got a recommendation for you!
More recipes you might like:
- If grilling is an option for you and you would rather do that. Then try this grilled brat recipe! I would still use this beer cheese sauce recipe though, it is sooooo good!
- I recommend you give these buffalo chicken flautas a shot if you are looking for something with a little heat.
- If you want something to serve with these, try some air fried potato chips!
- A perfect simple dessert option is air fryer pineapple! So amazing!
- For filling your 90’s shopping mall craving, check out our air fryer pretzel recipe too!
Air Fryer Bratwurst with Beer Cheese Sauce
For the brats:
- 5 uncooked brats
- 5 brat buns
For the beer cheese sauce:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup beer
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
For the brats:
- Preheat your air fryer to 360 degrees.
- Arrange brats in a single layer in the air fryer basket.
- Cook for 15 minutes, turning halfway through, or until brats reach an internal temperature of 160 degrees.
For the cheese sauce:
- Add the butter to a small saucepan over medium heat and let melt.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the beer and milk until the sauce thickens, about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheddar and paprika.
- Place the brats in the buns and drizzle with the cheese sauce. Sprinkle with chives.