Craving a delicious, healthy meal? Try our flavorful air fryer avocado tacos for a fresh take on a Mexican classic!
Sometimes you are just in sync with your kids you know? Around lunchtime yesterday my daughter and I were standing in our kitchen and she said she had a craving for tacos. It was like she reached out and touched my soul, because as usual, I had been thinking about tacos all day!
The thing is, she is trying to avoid eating meat these days, so I needed a plan that would make my little taco buddy happy.
We shared our keto avocado fries recipe a few years ago, and it was fantastic. We modified it just a bit with a panko breading for this recipe, but feel free to use the keto version to make these tacos if you like!
These plant-based tacos are hearty and filling, so flavorful with a delightful mix of textures, and just perfect for your next taco night.
Grab your avocados, because it’s time to make avocado tacos in the air fryer!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Avocados – Two avocados will give you about 16 pieces of avocado once sliced. This will make 6 to 8 tacos, depending on how much filling you like.
Breading – You’ll use a mixture of flour, eggs, and pank to make the breading. Standard stuff here!
Taco Toppings – Grab some cole slaw mix, lime juice, cilantro, and olive oil. We love to serve these with a simple cilantro lime slaw over the top. If you want other items like red onion or taco sauce, pick that up too!
When choosing your avocado, go for a slightly less ripe, firmer avocado. They’re easier to work with when adding the breading and they’ll soften up as they cook.
How to Make Avocado Tacos in the Air Fryer:
- Slice – Start by slicing your avocado into wedges, try for approx 1/2″ thick wedges. Then grab three shallow dishes. In the first dish pour in flour and salt. Add eggs to the second dish and beat them until combined. Then add your panko to the last dish.
- Bread and Fry – Dredge your slices of avocado into the flour, then the eggs, then the panko. Try not to squish your avocado while doing this. Spray your air fryer basket with oil from a mister then place your slices in the basket with room between each of them, then spray the avocados with oil mist as well. Air fry for 8 minutes at 400 degrees F.
- Make the Slaw – While the avocados are cooking add your coleslaw mix, cilantro, oil, and lime juice to a bowl and stir to combine. Taste and season with salt, as needed.
- Assemble – Warm some tortilla shells and fill them with the avocado slices when they are done cooking and top with the slaw mixture. Add other toppings to taste.
Shop our Favorite Air Fryers!
We’ve tested loads of air fryers over the years and narrowed it down to the best of the best! Whether you’re looking for a basket style air fryer that fits nicely on your countertop or you want the toaster oven style air fryer, we’ve got the recommendation for you!
Feel free to get creative and really load up those tacos! A few of our favorite toppings include:
- Minced cilantro and white onion
- Pickled red onions
- Shredded Lettuce
- Pico de Gallo
- Taco Sauce
- Slivered Radishes
- Shredded Cheese
We warm our corn tortillas in a skillet over medium high heat. No oil is needed. Just add the tortillas to the skillet in a single layer and cook on each side for about 30 second.
We prefer to place flour tortillas in a stack on a microwave safe plate. Cover loosely with a damp paper towel and microwave for 20 seconds. The tortillas should soft, warm, and pliable.
The slaw mixture can be swapped for shredded lettuce, if preferred, but we love the bright, zesty flavor of this slaw.
We used a spicy ranch sauce on our tacos. Any taco sauce would be good here.
The number of tacos you end up with will depend on how many slices of avocado you add to each taco. We go for 2-3 slices each and a large avocado will usually yield around 8 slices of avocado.
Air Fryer Avocado Tacos
For the tacos:
- 2 large firm-ripe avocados
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups panko
- 6-8 corn tortillas
- preferred taco toppings
For the slaw:
- 2 cups coleslaw mix
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Slice avocado into 1/2 inch thick wedges.
- Pour the flour and salt into a shallow dish. Add the eggs to another shallow dish, and beat with a fork until well combined. Add the panko to a third dish.
- Dredge the avocado wedges in the flour, then the eggs, and finally the panko.
- Spray your air fryer basket with avocado oil spray and arrange the breaded avocado in the basket, making sure to leave room between each piece. You may need to work in batches, depending on the size of your air fryer.
- Spray the avocado fries with avocado oil spray.
- Cook at 400 degrees for 7-8 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking.
- While the avocado is cooking, add the coleslaw mix, cilantro, oil, lime juice, and salt to a mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Warm the tortillas and fill each tortilla with a couple slices of fried avocado and some slaw. Top with a few slices of red onion and a drizzle of your favorite taco sauce.
- Serve immediately.