Our air fryer CHRISTMAS TREE COOKIES are a simple, sweet classic Christmas cookie that we made extra fun! These are your classic peanut butter blossoms, but with an adorable Christmas tree twist!
For as long as I can remember my favorite Christmas cookie has been the peanut butter cookie with a Hershey kiss on top. I have eaten them that way for a number of years and been as happy as can be.
The only problem with those Christmas cookies is they didn’t really look Christmas-y. Right? Just a boring old Hershey kiss on top of a boring (but totally delicious) peanut butter cookie. The other colorful, iced sugar cookies always LOOKED better.
This year though…this year is different.
This year these cookies look so pretty with a Christmas tree on top! And we add sprinkles to look like Christmas tree ornaments! My kids are just as obsessed with these as I am!
As an Amazon associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Peanut Butter – Use a processed creamy peanut butter here. Natural peanut butter will likely separate and won’t bake up as well. We like Jif in our house.
Butter– You’ll want this to be room temperature.
Frosting – You can make your own or your can purchase green frosting in a tube or can that is meant to be squirted out of a tip. So simple to use the ready made frosting for this one! This one works great.
Sprinkles – Any Christmas sprinkles will work. I can’t find the exact ones we used, but I like these better anyway.
How to Make Christmas Tree Cookies in an Air Fryer:
Mix the dry ingredients- In a large bowl combine flour, baking soda and salt. Stir this to combine well and then set it aside.
Mix together the wet ingredients– In a separate bowl beat together peanut butter, butter, brown sugar, and vanilla. Beat these with an electric mixer ideally to ensure everything is well mixed. After that add in the egg, but mix this in just enough that it is combined. Don’t overbeat this.
Make the dough balls– Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredient bowl stirring to combine. Next, use a medium cookie scoop to scoop out balls of dough. Use your hands to roll them into balls and put them on a cookie sheet. Place this in the fridge for 30 minutes to chill.
Cook the cookies– Line your air fryer with parchment paper. Cut it to size to fit nicely in the bottom of your air fryer. Add granulated sugar to a small bowl and coat the dough balls in the sugar then place on the parchment paper in your air fryer a minimum of an inch apart from one another. Cook for 6-8 minutes at 300 degrees F.
Add the tree to the cookie– After removing the cookies from the air fryer, let them cool for 5 minutes then press a Hershey kiss into the center of each cookie. Let them finish cooling completely then you can begin covering the kiss with green icing to create the shape of the tree. Add sprinkles to look like ornaments and serve!
A small star tip will look best, but feel free to experiment.
Yes, but you will do more freehand decorating of the tree. You could skip the Kiss entirely and just make a frosting tree or you could use a peanut butter cup as the base.
They were likely overcooked. Air fryers can vary a little bit from model to model so keep in mind the timing is just a guide. Your first batch of cookies will likely take a more time than subsequent batches as the air fryer will be fully preheated and hot when the second batch goes in.
Recipe Tips and Substitutions
When baking the cookies, you will most likely need to do multiple batches depending on the size of your air fryer. I was able to fit about 4-6 at a time. They cook quickly though so you’ll be able to move between batches swiftly.
Making the tree look cute shouldn’t be hard! Use a start tip in your frosting dispenser. You can use homemade frosting or premade frosting you purchased. Either way, use the frosting while it is still “wet”. Don’t let it sit out and dry up.
Squirt the frosting around the Hershey kiss from the bottom to the top in a circular motion, stopping when you get to the top of the kiss.
Also, use a star-shaped or angel-shaped sprinkle for the top of the tree then just a few round sprinkles on the rest of the tree.
More air fryer dessert recipes you might like:
Let us know your opinion!
We’d love to hear what you think of this recipe! Leave a comment and star rating down below! And don’t forget to pin and share!
- 1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup peanut butter
- ½ cup butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup granulated sugar, for coating cookies
- 22 Hershey Kisses
- Frosting and sprinkles, for decorating
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the peanut butter, butter, brown sugar, and vanilla extract with an electric mixer until well combined.
- Add in the egg and mix until just combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until just combined.
- Use a medium cookie scoop to scoop out balls of dough and place them on a baking sheet. Roll the scoops of cookie dough between your hands to smooth into a ball. Place the pan in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to chill.
- Preheat the air fryer to 300 degrees and line the air fryer basket with parchment paper.
- Place the granulated sugar into a small bowl and roll each ball of cookie in the sugar to coat.
- Place the cookies on the parchment paper about an inch apart and lightly press down. They will spread slightly while cooking.
- Air fry cookies for about 6-8 minutes or until cookies are a very light golden brown. Do not overcook.
- Remove the basket from the air fryer and let cool for 5 minutes. Carefully remove the cookies from the air fryer with a spatula and immediately press a Hershey’s Kiss into the center of the cookie.
- Let the cookies cool completely before decorating with frosting and sprinkles.
To decorate the cookies into the shape of a Christmas tree, use green frosting and squirt the frosting around the Hershey kiss from the bottom to the top in a circular motion, stopping when you get to the top of the kiss.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 22 Serving Size: 1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 197Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 144mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 1gSugar: 15gProtein: 3g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information is accurate.