Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches are a good recipe for the air fryer because you can cook everything together in a single basket. Simple to make and always a big hit!
Philly cheesesteaks are a staple sandwich all across the United States. The onions and cheese most often found in this sandwich add a ton of wonderful flavor to the thinly sliced steak.
We took some liberties with this recipe to enhance it a bit from a 100% authentic Philly cheesesteak not the least of which is cooking it all together in the air fryer.
When it comes time to dine, this sandwich will not disappoint! It is very close to an authentic sandwich and of course, you can modify this recipe a bit to fit your specific taste as you wish. We have some ideas for that below!
Ribeye– We chose ribeye for our Philly steak, but you can certainly use a more economical cut of meat. Sirloin works well.
Hoagie Rolls– We use hoagie rolls for this recipe. They are delicious and easy to find at nearly every grocery store. Anytime I bring this up with Philly natives I get quickly told that you must use Amoroso rolls. If you can find them, go for it!
Cheese – We’re using white American cheese here, but provolone or Cheez Whiz are also pretty traditional.
How to make air fried Philly steaks:
Prepare the ribeye- We want to slice our steak into thin strips so that it’s tender and cooks quickly.
The easiest way to do this is to pop the steak in the freezer for 15 minutes to let it firm up. Then, you’ll be able to easily slice it with a sharp knife.
Marinate the steak – We’re just doing a quick 2 ingredient marinade here. Add the steak to a bowl with the soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce and give it a stir to coat.
Pop it in the fridge for 4 hours to marinate.
Add the veggies – Remove the steak from the fridge about 30 minutes before you’re ready to cook it. Add the sliced onions, peppers, and seasoned salt to the bowl and give it a stir. Let it set at room temp for 30 minutes.
Cook – Place the steak and veggies in the basket of your air fryer and cook for 12 minutes at 390 degrees F. Shake the basket halfway through cooking. Remove the meat and veggies from the basket and drain the grease from the basket if necessary.
Make the sandwiches- Divide the steak evenly between your hoagie rolls and top with a slice of white American cheese. Wrap each sandwich tightly in foil and return to the air fryer for another 3 minutes at 390 degrees F. After this, remove from the air fryer, unwrap the sandwiches, and serve hot.
Keep it simple like fries, chips, or a pasta salad.
We prefer ribeye, but a more economical cut of meat like sirloin will also work well.
Recipe Tips and Substitutions
Thinly sliced steak is important! It’s easiest to cut your steak when it’s been in the freezer for 15-30 minutes to firm up.
Some butchers will also slice your steak for you. Take advantage of this to save time and effort on this recipe.
If you are looking to substitute your American cheese you can use provolone or Cheez Whiz instead.
More sandwich recipes you might like:
- Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
- Air Fryer Hamburgers
- Frozen Chicken Patties in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Turkey Burger
Let us know your opinion!
We’d love to hear what you think of this recipe! Leave a comment and star rating down below! And don’t forget to pin and share!
Air Fried Philly Cheesesteaks
- 1 pound ribeye steak
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 bell pepper any color
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 4 slices white American cheese
- 4 hoagie rolls
- Thinly slice the ribeye and place the strips of steak in a medium sized bowl.
- Top with the Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce and stir to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Remove the steak from the refrigerator about 30 minutes before you begin cooking.
- Slice the onion and pepper into strips and add to the steak mixture along with the seasoned salt, tossing to coat the vegetables. Let sit for 30 minutes to allow the steak to come to room temperature.
- Place the steak and vegetables in the basket of your air fryer and air fry at 390 for 12 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through cooking.
- Remove the meat and vegetables from the basket and set aside.
- Divide the steak evenly between the hoagie rolls and top with the cheese.
- Wrap each sandwich tightly in foil and return to the air fryer for 3 minutes at 390 degrees.
- Remove from the air fryer, unwrap the sandwiches, and serve.