AIR FRYER KALE CHIPS are a healthy snack food that taste good enough to eat even if you aren’t watching your diet. They are crispy and you can flavor them a bunch of different ways just like potato chips or popcorn!
We love to eat low carb (yes, even though you see us sharing all of these air fryer donuts and whatnot – moderation!). It makes us feel good and it’s opened us up to loads of new vegetables and recipes.
This kale chip recipe came about after looking for a snack for movie night. <— Yes, I said KALE for movie night!
They are crazy easy to make and I was able to have a different flavor than my wife, so we were both happy!
These chips will also be crisp enough that you can dip them in your favorite dip also. We have tried several different dips, and haven’t had a disappointment yet.
How to prepare the kale:
- Remove the stems from the kale leaves and cut into bite sized pieces. The kale will shrink a bit as it cooks, so keep that in mind when chopping.
- Rinse and dry the kale.
- At this point you can store kale in the fridge for 5-7 days prepared for your recipe.
How to cook kale chips:
- Place the kale leaves in a mixing bowl with olive oil. Massage this with your hands to coat the kale in the oil.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan, garlic powder, salt, and cayenne. Again massage to coat the kale in the spices.
- Place the kale in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Cook in batches if necessary to get the most crisp chips. You can cook them all in the air fryer at the same time, but the chips won’t be as consistently crisp throughout.
- Cook for 5 minutes. No need to preheat or shake the basket!
Alternate seasoning options:
These are chips, so the flavor options are endless. You can try cheesy toppings, like a powdered cheddar cheese popcorn seasoning. Or better yet a white cheddar cheese seasoning.
You could add some ranch seasoning instead of garlic I used, yum!
Also, if you prefer dips, these kale chips work with dip also!
One of my favs is spinach artichoke dip, though admittedly it’s a bit too thick to hold up to a kale chip.
How to store the kale chips:
There is no need to refigerate the chips!
Just keep them in an air tight container at room temp. They will stay good for about 5 days. If they aren’t as crisp as they were after a couple days just air fry them again for 1-2 minutes at 370 degrees F.
If you want to store before air frying, you need to keep the kale in your fridge. This again, should be good for 5-7 days after washing and preparing the kale.
Air fryer questions:
As an Amazon associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
We use and love the OMORC 6qt air fryer. We’ve tested 3 or 4 different air fryers and this is the one we consistently reach for. I have a family of four and the 6 quart model is a good size for us!
Another thing worth pointing out is that air fryer manufacturers encourage you to avoid the spray cans of non-stick spray as they can damage your basket over time. Instead, you should use vegetable oil in a pump spray bottle to apply your oil.
More recipes you might like:
- If you want to indulge in some sugary goodness after your kale chips you can try these air fried Oreos!
- Sticking to a low carb diet? Try this air fryer pork chops and broccoli recipe.
- If you favor a more traditional snack, air fryer taquitos are fantastic!
- 1 bunch kale
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne powder
- Wash the kale and remove the leaves from the thick stem. Tear or cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Wash and dry thoroughly and place in a mixing bowl.
- Pour olive oil onto the kale and massage with your hands to coat the kale in the oil.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan, garlic powder, salt, and cayenne. Massage well to coat the kale in the spices.
- Place the kale in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to cook the kale in 2 batches.
- Cook at 370 degrees for 4-5 minutes or until crispy. Do not preheat the airfryer or shake the basket during cooking time.
Store kale chips in a paper bag for up to 5 days. If they lose their crispiness, reheat in the air fryer for 1-2 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 88Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 195mgCarbohydrates: 4gNet Carbohydrates: 3gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 2g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information is accurate.