This PHILLY CHEESESTEAK EGG ROLLS RECIPE is the ultimate egg roll and we make them in the air fryer to keep things simple and quick! Loaded with seasoned beef, provolone, and veggies all wrapped in a crispy wrapper, just begging to be dunked in cheese sauce!
I am totally obsessed with trying new fillings in egg rolls lately. I have always loved the classic Asian inspired sausage egg rolls.
This new obsession is habit-forming I am afraid. I have several more ideas for egg rolls I hope to share in the very near future!
Want to be sure you don’t miss a single egg roll recipe in the future? Sign up for our free newsletter and you’ll get emails every time we send a new recipe. Plus, you’ll get a free ebook with some of our favorite air fryer recipes!
Steak – Our local Kroger store carries a shaved steak in the meat aisle, but you can always use the frozen shaved steak as an alternative. You could also very thinly slice a ribeye or sirloin or even use ground beef in this recipe! Look below for a hack on cutting your boneless sirloin thin with just a kitchen knife!
Onions – If you aren’t a fan, leave them out.
Bell peppers – Any color pepper works well here, and you can also leave them out entirely if you’re not a fan.
Seasoning – We’re using a mix of seasoned salt and chili powder. Simple and tasty!
How to make:
Cook your steak– Heat up a bit of oil in a skillet over medium heat. After your oil is hot in the skillet, add your steak, sprinkle with seasoned salt, and cook completely. After it is cooked, remove the steak from the skillet and set it aside.
Cook your veggies – After removing the steak, add another bit of oil to the skillet then add your onion, pepper, seasoned salt, and chili powder. Cook this for 5 minutes and be sure to stir it from time to time to keep it cooking evenly.
Bring the egg roll filling together– After your veggies have cooked, add your steak back to the skillet. Lay your slices of cheese over the steak and veggies, turn off the heat and cover with a lid. This will melt the cheese perfectly in 3-4 minutes.
Fill your egg rolls-Spoon a couple tablespoons of the steak mix into an egg roll wrapper. Fold in two opposing corners, then roll up from the bottom corner. Before finishing the wrap, moisten the top corner with a wet finger. This will help “glue” the corner down to the egg roll.
Fry your egg rolls-Spritz your egg rolls with oil or brush on oil to your egg roll. Place the egg rolls in a single layer, not touching each other, in your air fryer basket. Cook in batches if necessary. You need to cook the egg rolls at 390 degrees F for 7 minutes. Flip the egg rolls after 4 minutes.
Yes, use a boneless sirloin or ribeye and cut it into thin strips yourself. Ground beef would also be tasty.
Philly cheesesteaks are often served with Cheez Whiz and that’s what we recommend for a dip. Of course, ranch dressing, while not traditional, is also delicious.
Yep! Fill your egg rolls and place in the freezer on a baking sheet for one hour. Transfer to a freezer safe bag, squeeze out all the air, and freeze for up to 3 months. They will take a bit longer in the air fryer if you cook from frozen, but just keep an eye on them.
Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees and place your egg rolls in the air fryer basket. Cook at 350 degrees for 3-4 minutes.
Recipe Tips and Substitutions
If you are going to cut your own steak, you’ll want to follow this easy kitchen hack and freeze your steak for about 20 minutes first!
When you take the steak out of the freezer, it will be more firm and easier to slice with a sharp knife. You’ll want quite thin slices, as the egg roll wrappers are very thin and fragile and large chunks of steak may poke through the wrapper.
If you need help rolling your egg rolls, I recommend taking a look at this 20-second video teaching you how to roll egg rolls.
More recipes you might like:
Let us know your opinion!
We’d love to hear what you think of this recipe! Leave a comment and star rating down below! And don’t forget to pin and share!
Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls
- 1 pound shaved steak
- 2 teaspoons olive oil divided
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt divided
- 1 small yellow onion finely diced
- 1 small green bell pepper finely diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 12 egg roll wrappers
- Cheez Whiz for dipping
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 1 teaspoon of the oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the steak to the pan, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of seasoned salt, and cook through stirring often. Remove the steak to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining teaspoon of oil to the skillet and heat. Add the onion, pepper, remaining teaspoon of seasoned salt, and chili powder to the skillet. Cook, stirring often, until vegetables have softened, about 5 minutes.
- Return the steak to the skillet with the vegetables and stir to combine. Taste and add additional seasoned salt, if needed.
- Lay the sliced cheese over the top of the mixture, turn off the heat, and cover the pan. Let sit for 3-4 minutes for the cheese to melt.
- Stir well until everything is combined
- Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of the steak mixture into an egg roll wrapper. Fold in each side and then roll up tightly. Before making the last roll, dip your finger in water and brush it on the top corner of the egg roll and finish rolling to seal the egg rolls closed. Repeat with the remaining egg rolls.
- Lightly spritz the egg rolls on each side with oil spray.
- Place egg rolls in an air fryer basket in an even layer leaving space for air to flow between each egg roll. You will likely need to work in 2-3 batches, depending on the size of your air fryer.
- Cook at 390 degrees for 7 minutes or until golden brown on the outside, flipping halfway through cooking.
- Serve hot with warm Cheez Whiz, for dipping.