This easy AIR FRYER MEATLOAF takes 30 minutes to cook and is topped with a simple & sweet tomato sauce. This turns out moist and flavorful without a ton of work.
Meatloaf is a family friendly comfort food if one ever existed. So often it is associated with a loving family dinner. It is a meal that is always best cooked at home instead of ordered at a restraunt.
I think this is what makes meatloaf so much more popular in home kitchens yet not so popular at restraunts.
This mindset appealed to me when I was looking at my next air fried dinner. I was looking for a comfort food that was a main dish that would taste great. I didn’t want to mess with this particular recipe too much. I wanted traditional seasonings and flavors, but I also wanted to use the air fryer.
Much like our air fryer drumsticks, this is a new family favorite!
How to make meatloaf in the air fryer:
- Grab a large bowl and add all of the ingredients for the meatloaf to the bowl.
- Use a rubber spatula or a large wooden spoon to stir all of the ingredients together until they are combined well. You can also use your hands for this, if you don’t mind getting a bit messy.
- Cut a piece of parchment paper to the size of the bottom of your air fryer. Place your meat mixture onto this parchment paper and shape it into a loaf.
- Place the parchment paper and the loaf into your air fryer basket, and cook it for 20 minutes.
- Do a quick check of your meatloaf after 10 minutes to see if the top is browning. If it is, cover the top of the loaf with a small strip of foil.
- While this is cooking, whisk together the sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- After the meatloaf cooked for 20 minutes, remove the basket and brush the sauce on the top and sides of the meatloaf.
- Return to the air fryer and cook for 10 more minutes or until the meatloaf is 160 degrees Farenheit in the middle.
- Slice and serve!
Common meatloaf questions:
Yes, our meatloaf often looks pink even when it’s fully cooked. Adding vegetables and seasonings can cause this. We always recommend using an internal thermometer to check the temperature of your meatloaf.
The center of the meatloaf should be 160 degrees F.
Yes! We eat cold meatloaf sandwiches the next day – white bread and mayo are all that are needed, but feel free to dress it up however you like.
Air Fryer Selection
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This recipe will work with any air fryer. I have used several air fryers and I have loved them all! If you are in the market for a new air fryer you should look at its size and any other things specific to your cooking style.
I have a family of four and I use the OMORC air fryer that is six quarts. It is good for my size of family. There are times when a smaller one is good, maybe a larger one would be nice. But I use my air fryer 3-4 times per week minimum (I am addicted) and this hits almost every recipe perfectly.
Also this particular model is dishwasher safe. Not all air fryer baskets are, so look at that when shopping if that is important to you.
Make it an air fried meal:
- Cheese stuffed crescent rolls
- Air Fryer Potato Wedges
- Roasted sweet potato cubes
- Air Fryer Broccoli Cheese Casserole
- Air Fryer Cookies
Air Fryer Meatloaf
For the meatloaf:
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2/3 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Preheat the air fryer to 380 degrees for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the meatloaf. Using a rubber spatula, or large spoon, stir the ingredients so they are all well combined. Place meat mixture onto parchment paper, and shape into a loaf.
- Place the parchment paper with loaf on it into the air fryer basket. Cook at 380 degrees for 20 minutes. Check halfway to make sure the top isn’t getting too browned. If it appears to be, cover the top of the meatloaf with a small strip of foil.
- While meatloaf is cooking, whisk together the sauce ingredients in a small bowl until the sugar has dissolved.
- Once the meatloaf is done cooking, remove the tray and brush on the sauce, covering the top and all sides. Return to the air fryer and continue cooking for an additional 10 minutes or until the meatloaf reaches 160 degrees.
- Slice and serve while hot.