It is super easy to get a healthy snack by serving air fryer chickpeas! Crispy, crunchy, and seasoned with a chili lime blend. The perfect snack!
Chickpeas are a wonderful marvel of the food world. They are the foundation of some famous worldwide foods such as hummus and falafel. (Speaking of falafel – I have an air fryer version of that too!)
They can be made to have several different flavors and textures depending on the type of chickpea, or garbanzo bean, that you purchase and how you cook it.
The other thing is they are a healthy food option. So anytime you can have something healthy and also tastes good it is an important recipe to keep close!
My preferred way to indulge in them is to take a little baggy of them to the movies and snack on these bad boys instead of on popcorn.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Chickpeas– We are all about keeping things as easy as possible, so we will use a can of chickpeas. Don’t worry, they will still come out crispy!
Seasonings– Our list of seasonings in this recipe is one of many ways we have seasoned these and loved them all. You can adjust it as you see fit. We used olive oil, salt, chili powder, cayenne powder, and some lime zest.
How to Cook Chickpeas in an Air Fryer:
- Heat the air fryer to 350 degrees F. If you go higher, too many of your chickpeas will explode. As cool as that sounds, it hurts the texture of your servings. Don’t cheat on this portion of the recipe.
- Drain, rinse, and pat dry the canned chickpeas. This does two things. First it removes excess sodium. Second it helps improve the texture making them a little bit crispier.
- Add the beans to a bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with salt, chili powder, cayenne powder, and lime zest.
- Pour the chickpeas into the air fryer basket leaving room around them for air movement. Cook in batches if necessary.
- Cook for 20 minutes shaking the basket halfway through.
- Serve immediately and garnish with more lime zest to taste!
You’ll want to store these at room temperature and eat them within 1-2 days or they’ll lose their crispy crunch.
Yep! One is based on the Latin name and one is based on the Spanish name.
Yep, chickpeas can be a good snack for dogs. However, they shouldn’t be seasoned, like they are in this recipe. The beans from the can after rinsing and drying are a good snack, in moderation, for your furry friends. But do not feed them hummus or chickpeas seasoned with garlic, onion, or excess salt.
No. Legumes have a higher carb count than you’d want for keto. That said, they are high in vitamins, minerals, fiber, and protein so they are a great option for other lifestyles.
Shop our Favorite Air Fryers!
We’ve tested loads of air fryers over the years and narrowed it down to the best of the best! Whether you’re looking for a basket-style air fryer that fits nicely on your countertop or you want the toaster oven-style air fryer, we’ve got a recommendation for you!
These go great in a salad! Just add a couple of spoonfuls to each salad and serve!
You can adjust the spiciness by adjusting the cayenne. Add a little more for more heat, leave it out if you don’t like any spiciness.
More great snack recipes you might like:
- Cream cheese sausage balls
- Keto stuffed mushrooms
- Air fried sweet potato cubes
- Cheesy taco pinwheels
- Tofu Nuggets
Chile Lime Chickpeas in the Air Fryer
- 15 ounces canned chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt see note
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
- Zest of half a lime
- Preheat your air fryer to 350°F for 4 minutes.
- While the air fryer heats up, rinse and drain the chickpeas and then pat them dry.
- Add the chickpeas to a bowl and drizzle on the olive oil. Toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with salt, chili powder, cayenne powder and lime zest. Stir well.
- Pour the seasoned chickpeas into the preheated air fryer with room around them for the air to circulate. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to cook the chickpeas in 2 batches.
- Cook for 20 minutes total, shaking the basket after about 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately and garnish with more lime zest if desired!