This broccoli and cheese casserole is rich, cheesy, and loaded with nutritious broccoli. We top it off with buttery Ritz crackers! It cooks so quickly in the air fryer and tastes so good even the kids will eat their broccoli!
Okay, like most parents, my kids have their moments when it comes to veggies! I guess I got pretty lucky because both of them will at least try everything and there are a few veggies they eat without complaint.
Neither kid LOVES green vegetables, but they both eat them. Probably because I’m not shy about testing the same veggie on them in 300 different ways. Don’t like it roasted? Let’s try it steamed. Not like that? Let’s cover it in cheese. 😉
That is where this casserole comes in. This is so cheesy, you would have to be a cheese-hater to not like this broccoli!
Another great thing is that this is so fast to make in the air fryer! Way faster than heating up and cooking it in your oven.
There are several ways to make a casserole, but for this recipe, we are all about ease and speed so that’s it’s just as enjoyable to cook as it is to eat!
If you are exploring for air fried casseroles you might try our air fryer green been casserole too! It’s AMAZING!
- Broccoli Florets– It is helpful here to not have too much stem on your florets. If you cut them yourself, keep them under an inch long. I like them even under a half-inch long. If you buy precut florets from the grocer, clean them up a bit by cutting off any long stems, this is a fast process that helps quite a bit.
- Cream cheese– You need a pack of cream cheese at room temp. It’s best to set this out a little before you are ready to cook.
- Cheddar cheese– Freshly shredded cheddar cheese will melt better than the pre-shredded cheddar. If you have the time, shred it yourself for the best results.
- Crackers- We love to use Ritz crackers in our casserole. You can use an off-brand or another type of cracker but the best results will come from a cracker that has a rich butter flavor.
- Other fillers– You will also need sour cream, butter, and pepper.
How to air fry broccoli casserole:
Add your broccoli to a microwave-safe bowl with a 1/4 cup of water and microwave for 5 minutes. This should stay covered with plastic wrap during the cooking as well as for 3 minutes you remove it from the microwave before proceeding. The easiest way to steam broccoli ever.
Remove the plastic wrap and drain out the water.
Add cream cheese, sour cream, and cheddar to the bowl of broccoli and stir to combine.
Spray a 7-inch baking dish with vegetable oil or non-stick spray. We linked our baking dishes that fit the air fryer below…keep on reading!
Pour the broccoli mixture into this pan and spread evenly. Cover it with foil.
Place in the air fryer and cook for 10 minutes.
While that is cooking stir together cracker crumbs and melted butter.
When the broccoli has cooked for 10 minutes, remove the foil and top the casserole with the cracker crumbs.
Cook for 5 minutes to turn that cracker topping golden brown and crunchy.
Yes, you can. Freeze your leftovers in an air tight container for up to one month.
It is easy to reheat your leftover casserole in the air fryer to get the same quality you had when you made it the first time! Heat it at 350 degrees F until warm. This should take around 5-7 minutes straight from your fridge.
There are many options for this, you almost can’t go wrong. The casserole is usually the main dish, so garlic bread or a potato makes a good side. Roasted veggies can be good too like zucchini. If this casserole is your side, consider a meatloaf or grilled chicken as the main dish.
Want to add chicken?
You will want to have a pre-cooked chicken. For ease, you can purchase a small rotisserie chicken and chop or shred the amount of chicken you want to add. If you start with precooked chicken you shouldn’t need to add any more time to cooking this recipe although I haven’t tested that myself.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Shop our Favorite Air Fryers!
We’ve tested loads of air fryers over the years and narrowed it down to the best of the best! Whether you’re looking for a basket-style air fryer that fits nicely on your countertop or you want the toaster oven-style air fryer, we’ve got a recommendation for you!
Finding a pan to fit in your air fryer is important! We use the round pan from this air fryer accessory kit and it fit great in our air fryer. Any oven safe dish that fits in your air fryer should work well.
Recipe tips and notes:
- YOU CAN MAKE THIS LOW CARB! If you are serving someone on a low carb diet, just leave off the cracker crumb topping. The rest of this recipe is keto friendly.
- We steam the broccoli in the microwave because it’s quick and easy, but you can steam it on the stove if you prefer.
- We always use fresh veggies, not frozen. This recipe should work with frozen broccoli but I haven’t tested it. It will certainly have the best texture with fresh broccoli, though.
More family friendly recipes you might like:
- These air fried hamburgers are a slightly smoky burger you can top any way you want!
- Garlic butter mushrooms provide the best combo of flavors you can put on a mushroom.
- If you are in need of a side dish, these air fryer roasted potatoes are seasoned well and have a crispy skin with a soft middle!
Air Fryer Broccoli and Cheese Casserole
- 16 ounces fresh broccoli florets
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 3/4 cups crushed Ritz crackers
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Spray a 7 inch round baking dish with non-stick spray. See notes.
- Add the broccoli to a large microwave safe bowl along with ¼ cup of water. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and microwave for 5 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 3 minutes.
- Carefully remove the plastic wrap and drain the liquid.
- Add the cream cheese, sour cream, and cheddar to the bowl with the broccoli and stir well to combine.
- Pour broccoli mixture into the prepared baking dish. Cover with foil.
- Air fry at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Stir together the cracker crumbs and melted butter.
- Remove the foil and top the casserole with the cracker crumbs.
- Return the pan to the air fryer and cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately