Our air fryer coconut shrimp cooks in the air fryer in just 10 minutes! We serve them with a sweet chili sauce to dip them in.
I love shrimp and if you are looking at this recipe you very likely love shrimp also. Fried shrimp is the best, and everyone knows it. 😉
The crispy coating just makes me happy and fried shrimp is perfect when dipped in something yummy.
Somewhere, someone came up with the MAGNIFICENT idea of adding coconut to the breading when making fried shrimp and I am here for it. Gives it this delightful tropical vibe and I can imagine myself munching away on these while on the beach.
Then you skip the deep frying and air fry these guys? I mean, what could be better?? Crispy coconut shrimp AND no hot oil to deal with? You can count me in.
We also have a recipe for frozen shrimp in an air fryer that we love too!
Shrimp – Use large shrimp that are peeled and deveined. The tail can be left on or taken off, your choise! The shrimp also need to be thawed. So if you are using frozen shrimp, thaw them according to the package instructions prior to cooking.
Eggs- We need two beaten eggs for this recipe.
Chili Sauce– I love a sweet chili sauce with coconut shrimp. This is easy to find in the ethnic aisle of most grocery stores.
Coconut- Dried and unsweetened.
How to Make Coconut Shrimp in an Air Fryer:
Bread the shrimp- Add flour, salt, and pepper to a small bowl or shallow dish and stir to combine. In another dish add the eggs. In a third dish add the dried coconut and bread crumbs. Dip each shrimp in each of the three dishes starting with the flour, then egg, then coconut.
Cook the shrimp – Cook the shrimp at 370 degrees F for 10 minutes. Be sure to flip the shrimp after 10 minutes.
You’ll need to thaw your frozen shrimp before breading it. The breading won’t stick as well to frozen shrimp.
No, we use unsweetened coconut flakes to bread the shrimp. The sweet chili sauce does add a bit of sweetness, but the shrimp themselves are not sweet.
More seafood recipes you might like:
Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp
- 1 pound large shrimp peeled and deveined, tail on
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 2 large eggs beaten
- ¾ cup unsweetened dried coconut
- ¼ cup Panko bread crumbs
- Sweet chili sauce for serving
- Parsley for garnish
- If shrimp are frozen, thaw according to package instructions.
- Add the flour, salt, and pepper to a small bowl and stir to combine.
- Add the eggs to a second shallow dish.
- Add the coconut and bread crumbs to a third dish.
- Dip each shrimp first in the flour, then egg, and then the coconut, pressing into the coconut to coat the shrimp.
- Spritz the air fryer basket with oil spray and place the shrimp in a single layer. Spritz the shrimp with oil.
- Cook at 370 degrees for 10 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking.