We served this Air Fryer Italian sausage in a sausage roll, loaded with peppers, onion, and marinara for a quick meal or to serve up at game day!
I’m a sandwich person, through and through. I’d be happy to eat a sandwich at least once a day, every day.
Today, we’re making air fryer Italian sausage and serving it up in a sausage roll topped with sauteed veggies, marinara, and a bit of cheese. This makes the perfect lunch or quick dinner, but it’s also a huge hit to serve up to hungry football fans during the game!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
The Sausage- Any variety of Italian sausage will work here. We usually go for spicy Italian sausage, but mild or sweet will also cook just the same.
The Buns – Hot dog buns are totally sufficient here, but if you can find a good sausage roll you’ll want to go that route.
The Toppings– We sauteed some peppers and onions, stirring in some marinara, and then spooned that over the sausage. It all gets topped off with a bit of cheese.
How to Make Italian Sausage in an Air Fryer:
- Air fry the sausage– Pop your sausages into your air fryer basket and cook them at 360 degrees for 10-12 minutes. We like to use an internal meat thermometer to test these for doneness. They should be 160 degrees.
- Cook the veggies – Slice the pepper and onion and saute it in a hot skillet with a bit of butter or oil for around 10 minutes to soften up the veggies. Stir in some marinara and let that warm through.
- Serve – Place your cooked sausage in a bun, then add your toppings. A bit of shredded mozzarella or Parmesan on top is a great addition.
Shop our Favorite Air Fryers!
We’ve tested loads of air fryers over the years and narrowed it down to the best of the best! Whether you’re looking for a basket-style air fryer that fits nicely on your countertop or you want the toaster oven-style air fryer, we’ve got a recommendation for you!
We are using what North Americans would call Italian sausage that is sold in links. This is a pork sausage seasoned with various Italian seasonings. You may use a mild, sweet, or spicy variety depending on your preference.
You’ll want to cook your Italian sausage to an internal temperature of 160 degrees for the best results. If you overcook your sausage, it will shrivel up a bit.
Italian Sausage Topping Ideas
Let’s start with cheese! I usually eat these with mozzarella cheese, but Parmesan is also a great choice.
For veggies, I like green or red peppers, onions, marinara sauce, and even add some chunks of tomato to the sauce while it warms.
Throw some mushrooms in with your peppers and onions if you’d like!
Make it Low Carb!
Use a low carb hot dog bun, widely available at most grocery stores, in place of the sausage roll and you’ll have a delicious low carb option. Be sure to use a marinara with no sugar added, such as Rao’s.
More Italian Inspired Recipes:
- Air Fryer French Bread Pizza
- Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
- Air Fryer Pizza Grilled Cheese
- Air Fryer Gnocchi
- Air Fryer Eggplant Parmesan
Air Fryer Italian Sausage
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 medium bell pepper any color
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup marinara
- 5 Italian sausages any variety
- 5 sausage rolls
- 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella
- Slice the onion and peppers into strips.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add the butter. Once melted, add the peppers and onions to the skillet and cook until softened, stirring occasionally, for about 5-10 minutes.
- Add the marinara to the skillet and turn the heat to low. Cook until the marinara has warmed through, 2-3 minutes.
- While the vegetables are cooking, place Italian sausages in a single layer in your air fryer basket, leaving space between each for air to flow.
- Air fry at 360 degrees for 10-12 minutes, or until sausages are cooked through and have reached an internal temperature of 160 degrees, shaking the basket gently halfway through cooking. Do not overcook or sausages will shrivel up.
- Place each sausage into a sausage roll and spoon the pepper and onion mixture over the top. Sprinkle with cheese and serve hot.