Grab those chicken strips and hot dog buns, because we’re making these Honey BBQ Bird Dawgs for a quick lunch today! Tossed in honey barbecue sauce, loaded with our favorite toppings, and served up in a hot dog bun – just like Buffalo Wild Wings serves. Perfect for the big game or a fun twist on lunch!
We’re no stranger to air fryer hot dogs around here. We love them! Easier than firing up the grill and the hot dogs turn out just perfect.
But we have a picky eater in the house who just hates hot dogs…but he loves our air fryer chicken tenders!
So when I heard about a new way to eat chicken strips at Buffalo Wild Wings, the Bird Dawg, we had to give them a try! They are so good!
We air fried some frozen chicken tenders to keep the recipe super simple and then we tossed the crispy chicken tenders in honey BBQ sauce and loaded on the toppings.
We’ll be serving these up at football games all year long. Such a fun twist on a classic and a major crowd pleaser!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Chicken Strips- We’re using frozen chicken strips here to keep life super simple!
Sauce – We’re making Honey BBQ Bird Dawgs today, so we toss the chicken strips in honey BBQ sauce. You can use any type of sauce you like, though.
Buns – These are served up in a soft, fluffy hot dog bun.
Toppings – We’re sprinkling on shredded lettuce, shredded cheddar, and some chopped red onion. If you are so inclined, you might even drizzle on a little squirt of ranch dressing. Can’t beat that ranch + BBQ combo, if you ask me!
If you aren’t a fan of frozen foods, no problem, we have you covered! Just follow our recipe for homemade air fryer chicken tenders!
How to Make Air Fryer Bird Dawgs:
- Air Fry – Spritz your air fryer basket with oil spray and arrange the frozen chicken strips in a single layer. Spritz the chicken lightly with oil spray. Air fry the chicken for 10 minutes at 380 degrees F. Then flip the chicken strips and air fry for 2 more minutes but increase the temperature to 400 degrees F to help with crispness.
- Coat the chicken– Add the BBQ sauce to a bowl and add the cooked chicken strips. Toss to coat, then place each chicken strip on a hot dog bun.
- Top your Dawgs – Sprinkle shredded cheese and lettuce over the top. Add chopped onion if so inclined, then drizzle a little ranch dressing over everything before serving!
Shop our Favorite Air Fryers!
We’ve tested loads of air fryers over the years and narrowed it down to the best of the best! Whether you’re looking for a basket style air fryer that fits nicely on your countertop or you want the toaster oven style air fryer, we’ve got the recommendation for you!
Rather than a traditional hot dog, we’re filling the hot dog buns with chicken strips! This a tasty spin on a Buffalo Wild Wings favorite.
We like to serve these Bird Dawgs for lunch with a side of chips, fries, or potato wedges – much like we would order from BWW!
Steam the buns before adding the chicken or place the chicken in the buns and return to the air fryer (with it turned off) to warm the buns for one minute.
You can drizzle chicken strips with the BBQ sauce rather than tossing them in the sauce if preferred, but we like our strips to be fully coated in sauce.
More Restaurant Favorites:
- Air Fryer Mexican Pizza
- Air Fryer Bang Bang Shrimp
- Snack Wrap
- Air Fryer Blooming Onion
- Air Fryer Chick Fil A Nuggets
Honey BBQ Bird Dawgs
- 4 frozen chicken tenders
- 1/2 cup honey BBQ sauce more to taste
- 4 hot dog buns
- ¼ cup shredded lettuce
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- ¼ cup ranch dressing
- Spritz the air fryer basket with oil spray and arrange chicken strips in a single layer. Spritz lightly with oil spray.
- Air fry at 380 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Flip the chicken strips and air fry at 400 degrees for 2 minutes.
- Add the BBQ sauce to a bowl and add the chicken strips. Toss to coat.
- Place each chicken strip in a hot dog bun.
- Sprinkle the lettuce, cheddar, and red onion evenly between the buns.
- Drizzle with ranch dressing and serve.