Let’s turn that sandwich into pizza! This Pizza Grilled Cheese has everything we love about pizza – gooey cheese, pepperoni, and plenty of sauce – but it’s sandwiched between toasty, buttery, garlicky bread!
Can you imagine a world where you go to take two of your favorite dishes and put them together for a meal for fun? That is my life, and I love it.
These sandwiches were great! They had nice crispy bread, cheesy and flavorful center, and took less than 10 minutes to make!
What more could a person want for lunch?!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Bread – You need two pieces of white sandwich bread for each sandwich. This recipe will by default make 2 sandwiches.
Cheese– We used sliced Mozzarella and shredded parmesan. You can use shredded mozzarella if that’s what you have on hand.
Flavors– Pizza sauce, melted butter, garlic powder, onion powder, and Italian seasoning make up the base of this sandwich beyond the grilled cheese.
Toppings- You can use anything you want here! I am a pepperoni lover so I go wild with thinly sliced pepperoni.. You can use any pizza toppings you wish!
How to Make Pizza Grilled Cheese in an Air Fryer:
Assemble the sandwich– Lay two pieces of bread on a surface and top each with one slice of mozzarella cheese. Next spread pizza sauce over your slice of cheese, then sprinkle the shredded parmesan over the pizza sauce. Now add your toppings, we used only pepperoni. Then add your last slice of cheese and bread to the top to complete the assembly.
Butter the bread – Stir together melted butter, garlic powder, onion powder, and Italian seasoning. Then use a pastry brush and coat the outside of your sandwich on both slices of bread.
Air fry your sandwich – Place your completed sandwich in your air fryer basket. Cook at 400 degrees F for 8 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking. Be careful flipping taking care not to let your sandwich fall apart.
More Topping Ideas For Your Pizza Grilled Cheese:
I have learned there are no bad options for pizza toppings!
- Ground Sausage
- Ham or Canadian Bacon
- Air Fryer Bacon (crumble it up)
- Ground Beef
- Banana Peppers
- Pineapple (yes, I said that)
While that is a great hack for regular grilled cheese, for this recipe it isn’t ideal. We’re making garlic butter to brush on the bread, so we’d recommend using butter in this case.
This ultimate comfort food can be served with nearly anything. A side salad is a great light option, or a pile of French fries if you’re really feeling hungry!
- Air Fryer Garlic Bread
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Crunchwrap
- Air Fryer Twice Baked Potato
- Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Wrap
Air Fryer Pizza Grilled Cheese
- 4 slices white bread
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons pizza sauce
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan
- 18 pepperoni slices
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Lay 2 slices of bread on your work surface and top with one slice of mozzarella cheese each.
- Spread the cheese with the pizza sauce, sprinkle with the Parmesan, and arrange the pepperoni over the top. Top with the remaining piece of mozzarella and bread.
- Stir together the butter, garlic powder, onion powder, and Italian seasoning. Use a pastry brush to coat the outside of the sandwich on both sides and then place the sandwich in your air fryer basket.
- Air fry at 400 degrees for 4 minutes, carefully flip, and continue cooking for 3-4 more minutes or until as golden brown as you’d like.