Stop what you’re doing, grab your air fryer, and whip up these Southwest Egg Rolls! You’ll end up with a crisp egg roll wrapper loaded with shredded chicken and black beans, plenty of spice, and a little corn to add a sweet crunch!
My first experience with a Southwest chicken egg roll was at a chain restaurant and I was honestly a little leery about what might be hiding inside that egg roll wrapper…
Flavor is what was hiding in there, my friends. Plenty of Tex-Mex spices, shredded chicken, a bit of cheese, and the sweet crunch of corn. Southwest egg rolls quickly became a favorite and now we’re making them in the air fryer!
This is all part of my air fryer egg roll series. We started off teaching you how to make egg rolls in an air fryer and progressed onto all kinds of fun fillings, including these Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls and apple pie egg rolls!
Of course, all good egg rolls need something to dip them in! This time around we went for a quick avocado dip made with smashed avocado, lime juice, and salt. Another favorite is this Rotel Dip – cheese is always a good choice, right?
Chicken – We like to buy a rotisserie chicken and shred while still warm. Leftover diced chicken will also work too – just chop it small.
Black Beans – Canned are perfect, just drain them first.
Corn Kernels– Go for frozen corn kernels for the best freshness. If you don’t have any handy, canned corn will work as a substitute.
Jalapeno- We used tamed pickled jalapenos because we don’t like it too spicy, but use fresh jalapenos for more of a kick.
Spices – Cumin, chili powder, onion powder, and garlic powder add loads of flavor.
Cheese – Monterey Jack is a good choice, but cheddar also works.
How to Make Southwest Egg Rolls:
Season the chicken– You’ll start this Southwest egg roll recipe by adding every ingredient except for the egg roll wrappers to a medium bowl and stir until it is all combined well. You will spoon approx. 1/4 cup of this mixture into each egg roll wrapper.
Roll the egg rolls – After scooping in the chicken mix fold in two opposing sides of the egg roll. Now fold the bottom onto the folded sides, a bit like making an envelope. Roll it up and stop just before it’s at the top. Dip your finger in water and brush it along the top and finish rolling. The water will seal the egg roll so that it stays closed during cooking.
Air fry the egg rolls– Brush or spritz oil on both sides of the egg roll. Place your egg rolls in the air fryer, leaving a bit of space between each one for hot air to flow. Cook at 390 degrees F for 7 minutes. Flip halfway through cooking.
To freeze cooked egg rolls, allow the egg rolls to cool completely and then wrap individually in foil. Place in a freezer safe bag and freezer for up to 3 months. Reheat in the air fryer.
Reheat frozen egg rolls in the air fryer at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes. If fresh from the fridge, reheat at 375 degrees for 4-5 minutes.
Southwest egg rolls are a flavorful combination of black beans, corn, jalapenos, green onions, and spices including cumin and chili powder. We add chicken, cilantro, and a bit of cheese to ours.
Do you know what makes a great egg roll even better? DIP!
I recommend making your own southwest dip but you can certainly buy a packaged one.
You can use regular Ranch dressing or liven it up and try this avocado salad dressing as your dip! This Southwest egg roll recipe is delicious with a side of sour cream, too!
More flavorful recipes you might like:
- Air Fryer Fajitas
- Crunchwrap Supreme
- Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls
- Cheeseburger Egg Rolls
- Buffalo Chicken Flautas
Let us know your opinion!
We’d love to hear what you think of this recipe! Leave a comment and star rating down below! And don’t forget to pin and share!
Air Fryer Southwest Egg Rolls
- 1 cup shredded chicken cooked
- ¾ cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- ¼ cup canned black beans drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup frozen corn kernels
- 1/4 cup diced pickled jalapenos or 1 small jalapeno, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced green onion
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 12 egg roll wrappers
- Add everything but the egg roll wrappers to a medium bowl and stir well to combine.
- Spoon around 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture into an egg roll wrapper. Fold in each side and then roll up tightly. Before making the last roll, dip your finger in water and brush it on the top corner of the egg roll and finish rolling to seal the egg rolls closed. Repeat with the remaining egg rolls.
- Lightly spritz the egg rolls on each side with oil spray. Spritz the air fryer basket with oil spray.
- Place egg rolls in the air fryer basket in an even layer leaving space for air to flow between each egg roll. You may need to work in batches, depending on the size of your air fryer.
- Cook at 390 degrees for 7 minutes or until golden brown on the outside, flipping halfway through cooking.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Share it with us on Instagram @air.fried and tag us #air.fried
Leave A Reply!