Making sweet potato fries in the air fryer couldn’t be easier! Healthier than deep frying, quicker than baking, and they turn out delicious every time – especially with our special dip!
Sweet potatoes can be a bit healthier than regular potatoes and they are a staple for many households. If this is you, then having a recipe for homemade sweet potato fries is an absolute must!
These air fryer sweet potato fries are tossed in a bit of cornstarch and seasonings (like chili powder and garlic powder) to add a tasty coating to the outside of the fries.
These crisp up a bit in the air fryer (they’ll never be as crispy as our air fryer frozen sweet potato fries, but these are made from scratch and we love that!), and the inside is soft and fluffy.
I am a major french fry dipper. Whether it is fry sauce, ketchup, BBQ sauce, whatever…I just want a sauce to dip it in.
I played with a few sauces for this recipe and landed on a spicy mayo sauce you should try out. It would be good on our air fryer frozen french fries too, but we love the combo of sweet and spicy that you get with these sweet potato fries.
Sweet potato– We use one large sweet potato for this recipe. When picking out your potato you want a firm potato, not a soft one. Ideally, the skin is intact and not cracked anywhere either. This will give you the best results!
Seasonings– You will need some cornstarch, chili powder, garlic powder, and salt. This will provide a perfect little breading for the fries.
We serve these with a spicy mayo sauce for dipping. If you want that sauce too you will need to have mayonnaise, sour cream, and sriracha.
How to Make Sweet Potato Fries in an Air Fryer:
- Wash your potatoes and slice them into thin fries, roughly a quarter inch thick.
- Add them to a large bowl full of water and soak for about 30 minutes. This removes extra starch from the outsides and prevents the fries from sticking together (making them crispier). Drain and dry the fries.
- Drizzle the fries with avocado oil, and sprinkle with cornstarch, garlic powder, chili powder, and salt. Toss to coat.
- Air fry for 10 minutes and shake the basket after 3-4 minutes to cook them more evenly.
- For extra crispy fries, cook in batches so that you can do a single layer at a time. We go for less crispy fries to get them done extra fast.
How to Make Spicy Dipping Sauce:
This is super easy! Just whisk together the following ingredients in a bowl.
- 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons of sour cream
- 3 teaspoons of sriracha
Don’t skip the step of soaking your fries in water. It does make a difference!
If you really want crispy fries, you’ll have to work in batches here. Place your fries in a single layer in the basket so the hot air can flow nicely around each fry. This will be the best way to get crispy fries. We tend to just pile the fries in and sacrifice a bit of the crisp for ease and speed, though.
Sweet potatoes are more nutrient dense and have a higher amount of fiber than white potatoes. Both have the same amount of total carbs.
You can make the fries a little crisper by cutting your fries a little bit thinner than we are showing.
You can also make sure they aren’t touching at all allowing hot air to move around all sides of the fries, just as it would in a deep fryer.
Shop our Favorite Air Fryers!
We’ve tested loads of air fryers over the years and narrowed it down to the best of the best! Whether you’re looking for a basket-style air fryer that fits nicely on your countertop or you want the toaster oven-style air fryer, we’ve got a recommendation for you!
More recipes for your air fryer:
- Kale chips are a healthier alternative to potato chips.
- One of our top recipes so far is this Mongolian beef recipe we made in the air fryer.
- A good remedy for your sweet tooth craving is this personal-sized apple pie!
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries with Spicy Dipping Sauce
For the Fries
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the sauce
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 teaspoons sriracha
- Slice the sweet potato into thin fries about ¼ inch thick.
- Add sweet potatoes to a large bowl full of water and let soak for 30 minutes.
- Drain sweet potatoes and dry well.
- Drizzle potatoes with avocado oil and sprinkle with cornstarch, garlic powder, chili powder, and salt. Toss to coat.
- Preheat air fryer to 380 degrees.
- Place sweet potatoes in the air fryer basket and cook for 10 minutes, shaking every couple of minutes.
- After ten minutes, check for doneness. Potatoes should be crisp on the outside and tender inside.
- To make the dipping sauce, whisk ingredients together until well combined.
- Serve hot with sauce for dipping.