SWEET POTATO FRIES turn out great when you make them in the air fryer. Extra healthy in the air fryer and seasoned perfectly!
Sweet potatoes are a bit healthier than regular potatoes and they are a staple for many households. If this is you, then having a recipe for homemade fries made from sweet potatoes is an absolute must!
This recipe provides some garlic and some spice with a little bit of a breading to the sweet potatoes, and I absolutely love it!
These aren’t going to get as crisp as a traditional deep fried sweet potato fry, but the insides are soft and fluffy and they’re perfect for dipping!
I am a major french fry dipper. Whether it is fry sauce, ketchup, BBQ sauce, whatever…I just want a sauce to dip it in.
I played with a few sauces for this recipe and landed on a spicy dipping sauce you should try out. It would even be good on regular french fries.
How to make sweet potato fries in an air fryer:
- Wash your potatoes and slice them into thin fries, roughly a quarter inch thick.
- Add them to a large bowl full of water and soak for about 30 minutes. This removes extra starch from the outsides and prevents the fries from sticking together (making them crispier).
- Drain the potatoes and dry them well and place them back in a dry bowl.
- Drizzle the fries with avocado oil, and sprinkle with cornstarch, garlic powder, chili powder, and salt.
- Toss the fries to coat them.
- Air fry for 10 minutes and shake the basket after 3-4 minutes to cook them more evenly.
- For extra crispy fries, cook in batches so that you can do a single layer at a time. We go for less crispy fries to get them done extra fast.
Spicy dipping sauce:
This is super easy! Just whisk together the following ingredients in a bowl.
- 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons of sour cream
- 3 teaspoons of sriracha
Questions about this recipe:
Don’t skip the step of soaking your fries in water. It does make a difference!
If you really want crispy fries, you’ll have to work in batches here. Place your fries in a single layer in the basket so the hot air can flow nicely around each fry. This will be the best way to get crispy fries. We tend to just pile the fries in and sacrifice a bit of the crisp for ease and speed, though.
Sweet potatoes are more nutrient dense and have a higher amount of fiber than white potatoes. Both have the same amount of total carbs.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
We use and recommend the OMORC 6 qt air fryer. It has a larger basket, is dishwasher safe, and has lasted us for about 2 years of fairly heavy use.
After you have your air fryer you want to preserve it. Using a can of non-stick spray can damage your air fryer basket. You can prevent this by using a pump spray bottle for applying your preferred oil. For recipes calling for spraying on the food in the basket for example, we could use this to apply our avocado oil.
More recipes for your air fryer:
- Kale chips are a healthier alternative to potato chips.
- One of our top recipes so far is this Mongolian beef recipe we made in the air fryer.
- A good remedy for your sweet tooth craving is this personal-sized apple pie!
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries with Spicy Dipping Sauce
For the Fries
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the sauce
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 teaspoons sriracha
- Slice the sweet potato into thin fries about ¼ inch thick.
- Add sweet potatoes to a large bowl full of water and let soak for 30 minutes.
- Drain sweet potatoes and dry well.
- Drizzle potatoes with avocado oil and sprinkle with cornstarch, garlic powder, chili powder, and salt. Toss to coat.
- Preheat air fryer to 380 degrees.
- Place sweet potatoes in the air fryer basket and cook for 10 minutes, shaking every couple of minutes.
- After ten minutes, check for doneness. Potatoes should be crisp on the outside and tender inside.
- To make the dipping sauce, whisk ingredients together until well combined.
- Serve hot with sauce for dipping.