KETO SCOTCH EGGS are the perfect snack, appetizer, or breakfast! They’re delicious served hot or cold, and the easy mustard sauce makes a perfect dip. These are extra easy thanks to the air fryer.
Ever heard of a scotch egg? Oh man, they’re so good and they seriously make a great snack!
A scotch egg is basically a hardboiled egg wrapped in sausage, deep fried, and then served with some sort of mustard.
Scotch eggs originated in Scotland (surprise!) and were originally made as an egg encapsulated with bread crumbs and fish paste. Overtime and as the recipe moved away from Scotland it has transformed into some variation of sausage paired with the egg instead.
You’ll often find scotch eggs with a runny or soft yolk, but we personally prefer the hard yolk. I’ll give you tips on how to make them both ways, so you can make your perfect scotch egg!
How to make scotch eggs:
The starting point for this is with the sausage breading. We’re making these keto scotch eggs, because hey, why not cut carbs when you can? I promise you won’t miss them here!
Stir together breakfast sausage, Parmesan cheese, and onion powder in a small bowl. You need to mix your high quality sausage, onion powder, and parmesan cheese in a bowl together.
Next, you will want to wrap each of your hard boiled eggs (tips on boiling eggs below!) in your sausage breading. These should be wrapped so that there are no visible parts of the egg and no cracks in the coverage over the egg.
If you stretch your sausage too thing, it may shrink a bit and you’ll have missing bits of breading. This isn’t a big deal, but do try to make sure there is enough sausage to easily cover the entire egg. This recipe will make 6 eggs.
Now place your eggs in a single layer in the air fryer basket and cook for 12 minutes, flipping half way through.
How to make the mustard dipping sauce:
Scotch eggs are perfect as they are, but everything is tastier with a bit of dip!
In a small bowl, stir together the following:
- Stone ground mustard
- Lemon juice
- Dried dill
- Cracked pepper
You can serve this sauce on the side, or top your eggs with the sauce. We do the caveman thing and just pick up a scotch egg and dunk it right in the sauce and eat with our hands. 😉
Tips for hard-boiled eggs:
We use our Instant Pot for cooking eggs – it is so quick and easy and the peels slip right off with no issue.
You’ll want to place 6 eggs in the pot along with 1 cup of water.
Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes, natural release for 5 minutes, and then put the eggs in an ice bath for 5 minutes. 5-5-5…it’s easy to remember!
For soft boiled eggs, cook on low pressure for 3 minutes with a 1 minute natural release and then place in an ice bath for 5 minutes.
Do keep in mind that the eggs will cook a bit in the air fryer along with the sausage, so feel free to experiment with how long you cook the eggs to get your perfect keto scotch egg!
Air Fryer Recommendations:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I have a family of four and when choosing my air fryer I had to take that into consideration, so I bought a six quart air fryer. It’s a nice size and I can cook in less batches. Another feature to this one that I find favorable is that it is dishwasher safe.
We recommend that you use a pump spray bottle to spritz cooking oil onto your food. It’s not recommended to use Pam or other aerosol cooking sprays as they’ll damage your air fryer over time.
More keto air fryer recipes you might like:
- These kale chips are simple to make and they get nice and crunchy!
- Our air fryer drumsticks are perfectly crispy outside with a nice, juicy interior.
- This air fryer asparagus is seasoned with garlic and parmesan!
- Low carb air fryer zucchini are great when you coat them in Italian salad dressing.
Keto Scotch Eggs
For the Scotch eggs
- 6 large boiled eggs cooled
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
For the mustard sauce
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons stone ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- ¼ teaspoon cracked pepper
- Peel the eggs and set aside.
- Add the sausage, Parmesan, and onion powder to a mixing bowl and mix well to combine.
- Wrap each egg in the sausage mixture to fully enclose the egg.
- Place in a single layer in an air fryer basket. Spritz with oil spray.
- Air fry at 390 degrees for 12 minutes, flipping halfway through. Check for doneness and continue cooking, if necessary, until sausage is cooked through.
- To make the dip, whisk all of the ingredients together.
- Slice eggs in half and serve with the mustard dip.