This avocado grilled cheese recipe is cooked to perfection in the air fryer! This recipe is the perfect blend of crispy bread, gooey melted cheese, and creamy avocado. Ready in under 10 minutes!
There are so many ways to enjoy a grilled cheese sandwich! In fact, I’m pretty sure that even a bad grilled cheese sandwich is still good. I mean, crispy buttery bread and melty cheese are a pretty fool proof combination!
This time around we’re elevating the classic by adding in a layer of creamy, buttery avocado. It adds healthy fats, fiber, and potassium!
It really takes the grilled cheese sandwich to a whole new level!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Bread – We like to use white sandwich bread. You are welcome to use wheat bread instead.
Cheese – The cheese is just sliced deli-style American cheese. Of course, you can use whatever you desire – pepperjack is always good here!
Avocado– One ripe avocado is needed for two sandwiches. Be sure the avocado isn’t too firm or too mushy for the best results.
Need help picking out the perfect Avocado?
Find one that is a little bit soft and darker in color than some of its neighbors. You don’t want it to be overly squishy, but certainly not firm! It should give a little when you squeeze it.
How to Make Avocado Grilled Cheese in an Air Fryer:
- Butter the Bread– Start by buttering one side of each of your slices of bread. Some people use mayo instead of butter on their grilled cheese, if you want to give that a try!
- Assemble the sandwich– Next slice up your avocado. If you need a great tutorial on the easiest way to do this, take a look at this avocado slicing tutorial. Place two slices of buttered bread into your air fryer basket with the butter side down. Next add a slice of cheese, then avocado slices, and another slice of cheese. Finally put your last piece of bread on top with the buttered side facing upward.
- Air fry the sandwich– You will air fry this for a total of 8 minutes at 360 degrees F. Be sure to flip the sandwich halfway through cooking.
Shop our Favorite Air Fryers!
We’ve tested loads of air fryers over the years and narrowed it down to the best of the best! Whether you’re looking for a basket style air fryer that fits nicely on your countertop or you want the toaster oven style air fryer, we’ve got the recommendation for you!
If your avocado is squishy, or smells bad that is a dead give away before you even cut it. A few brown spots on the inside are fine, but if it’s moldy or dark brown throughout, it’s best to toss it.
I love this with a warm bowl of tomato soup! If you aren’t feeling the soup on a hot summer day, try serving with some veggie chips!
Bacon makes a great addition to this grilled cheese! Use our air fryer bacon recipe and add it in between the cheese with the avocado.
Spice things up by using pepper jack in place of American.
Sliced tomato is a great addition. Add it in with the avocado.
More Grilled Cheese Recipes:
Air Fryer Avocado Grilled Cheese
- 4 slices sandwich bread
- 2 tablespoons butter room temperature
- 4 slices deli-style American cheese
- 1 ripe avocado sliced
- Spread the outsides of each piece of bread with butter.
- Arrange two pieces of bread, butter side down, in the air fryer. Top each piece with 1 slice of cheese, avocado slices, and the remaining slice of cheese. Place remaining bread on the top with the buttered side up.
- Air fry at 360 degrees for 4 minutes, flip, and continue cooking for 3-4 minutes or until bread is as golden brown as you’d like.
- Serve hot.