We love making fish and chips in the air fryer and this Air Fryer Cod is a great start! Crispy breaded cod is a breeze to make in the air fryer. Just pair with some french fries and tartar sauce!
I’m pretty in love with fried fish! I think it’s because my dad often went fishing when I was a kid and would bring home fresh fish for us to fry up. Now my husband does the same thing!
Of course, I’m not above resorting to grabbing a bag of frozen cod when I’m at the grocery store anytime the craving hits. 😉
This air fryer cod is a definite favorite these days. Cod is such a mild flavored fish with a nice firm texture. I love it coated in a crispy coating and then air fried. Makes the perfect dinner, especially when paired with our air fryer frozen french fries or air fryer potato wedges!
If you’re able to get fresh cod, that’ll be amazing here! But, the frozen kind of from the local supermarket is pretty darn tasty too, if you ask me. And it’s a nice lean source of protein and loaded with vitamins and minerals. We love adding fish to our weekly menu.
Fish- Fresh or frozen cod will work here, but make sure it’s thawed.
Breading- You need flour, egg, panko, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and salt.
How to Make Cod in the Air Fryer:
Prep the breading- Grab three shallow dishes that you can dip your fish into. Add the flour, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and paprika to one dish. For the second dish, whisk together an egg. For the final dish, add in your Panko bread crumbs.
Bread the cod- Dip each fillet of cod into the flour dish, then the egg dish, and finally the panko dish. Press the fish into the panko pretty well to make sure it sticks to the fish.
Air fryer the cod– Spritz your basket with non-stick spray or brush the air fryer basket with oil and arrange the fish in an even layer, not touching, in your air fryer basket. Additionally, spray the fish with oil and air fry for 10 minutes at 400 degrees F.
Absolutely! The air fryer cooks your fish without making it all greasy. Additionally, the breading doesn’t fall apart, or fall off of the fish during the cooking process leading to a consistent texture in every bite of the fish.
Keep your leftover cod in a sealed air-tight container. It will last for 3-4 days. When you want to reheat it, use your air fryer again. It is much better at reheating than a microwave is!
We air fry our breaded cod at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes. The cod should be firm and white and flake apart easily with a fork.
If you have a different fish than cod, it can still work with this recipe. If you are using a different fish, be sure they are filleted. We think haddock is the best substitution of cod for the air fryer, but tilapia or walleye are very close. This recipe will also work if you have bass fillets – something my husband loves to catch and bring home!
More Air Fryer Seafood Recipes:
- Air Fryer Fish Sticks
- Air Fryer Salmon
- Keto Stuffed Mushrooms
- Air Fryer Crab Cakes
- Air Fryer Bang Bang Shrimp
Air Fryer Cod
- 1 pound cod filets fresh or frozen and thawed
- ½ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt divided
- 1 large egg beaten
- ½ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- Lemon wedges for serving
- Tartar sauce for serving
- Place the cod on a paper towel lined plate or sheet pan and pat dry.
- Add the flour, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a shallow dish and stir to combine.
- Add the egg to a second dish.
- Add the panko and remaining teaspoon of salt to a third shallow dish.
- Dip each piece of fish first into the flour, then the egg, and finally the panko, pressing to make sure the panko sticks to the fish and fully coats it.
- Spritz an air fryer basket with non-stick spray and arrange the fish in an even layer with space between for air to flow. You may need to work in batches.
- Spritz the fish liberally with oil spray and then air fry at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes, flipping the fish halfway through cooking.