Learn how to cook perfectly tender Air Fryer Filet Mignon every time! This recipe is foolproof and our garlic herb butter is the perfect way to finish off this beautiful cut of meat.
I’m a sucker for a good steak and you can find us making our air fryer steak bites at least once a month around here!
But when it comes to steak, filet mignon is one of my favorites cuts and, believe it or not, the air fryer is the perfect way to cook it.
I know it seems wrong not to toss it on the grill, but the air fryer does a surprisingly good job and your steak will turn out tender, juicy, and perfectly cooked every time if you follow the steps we lay out for you!
You don’t have to be a fancy, high class chef to make an amazing filet mignon.
The low fat content in filet mignon helps it to cook very consistently. This makes it a great cut of steak for home chefs, and a great cut of steak to cook in your air fryer!
The garlic herb butter adds the perfect finishing touch and I’m sure you’ll find a reason to make this butter again and again. It’s good on veggies, potatoes, and any cut of steak you like!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Steak – This recipe is for 2 filet mignon steaks. We shoot for 6-8 ounces each and always try to get very similarly sized steaks so that they cook at the same time.
Seasoning – Keep it simple and season your steaks with a bit of salt and pepper. We’ll add more flavor with our compound butter.
Garlic Herb Butter – We’ll mash together softened butter, garlic, parsley, rosemary, and a bit more salt.
Need help picking out the best steak? We got you!
Find a filet that is bright red and very slightly marbled. You want really thin “lines” of marbling in a filet mignon. If there is silver skin, pass on that cut, or cut that off before cooking as it can be very difficult to chew.
How to Make Filet Mignon in the Air Fryer:
- Butter– Add the butter to a small bowl and use a microplane grater to grate the garlic into the butter. Next add your parsley, rosemary, and salt to the butter. Use a fork to mash it all together until it is well combined.
- Chill – Grab a piece of parchment paper, put the butter on it, and roll it into a log shape. Put this in the fridge until the steak is done cooking.
- Season– Rub the steaks with olive oil then season all the sides with salt and pepper. Let come to room temperature for about 30 minutes on the counter.
- Air Fry– Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees F. Put your steak in and cook for 12 minutes for a medium steak. I have more cooking times for other preferences below!
- Rest & Serve – After the air fryer filet mignon is done cooking, let the steak rest at room temp for 5 minutes, then top with slices of your garlic herb butter and serve!
Shop our Favorite Air Fryers!
We’ve tested loads of air fryers over the years and narrowed it down to the best of the best! Whether you’re looking for a basket style air fryer that fits nicely on your countertop or you want the toaster oven style air fryer, we’ve got the recommendation for you!
We love a perfectly cooked steak served alongside a baked potato and some veggies! Here are a few options:
- Air Fryer Baked Potato
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes
- Air Fryer Green Beans
- Air Fryer Corn on the Cob
- Air Fryer Zucchini
How Long To Cook Filet Mignon in the Air Fryer
|Level of Doneness||Internal Temperature||Cook Time|
|Medium Rare||135°||11-12 minutes|
|Medium Well||150°||13-14 minutes|
|Well Done||160°||14-15 minutes|
We use and love this ThermoPro meat thermometer anytime we’re making chicken, steak, or pork chops! It’s the easiest way to ensure meat is cooked to the perfect temperature every time and is a great gift for beginner cooks too!
For a filet mignon that is around 1 1/2 inches thick, you’ll want to cook it at 400 degrees for 11-12 minutes for a medium rare steak. We’ve included times and temperatures for all levels of doneness in the chart above as well as in the recipe card below.
Filet mignon cooks beautifully in the air fryer. The hot air blowing around the contained space helps to perfectly char the edges of the steak while maintaining a juicy, perfectly cooked interior. We find the air fryer to be a simpler method than grilling and just as delicious.
The garlic herb butter is perfect over your filet mignon, but leftover butter may be swirled into mashed potatoes, spread on a slice of bread and toasted, or melted over roasted vegetables. The butter is also tasty over pork chops or grilled chicken.
It is very popular to wrap filet mignon in bacon when cooking! You can do that here in your air fryer also!
Just wrap the sides of the steak in one piece of bacon and use a toothpick to hold it onto the steak. Cook as directed. If you’d like to ensure your bacon is crispy when done, you may par-cook it for a couple of minutes in the air fryer before wrapping it around your raw steak.
Air Fryer Filet Mignon
- 2 filet mignon steaks about 6-8 ounces each
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked pepper
- ¼ cup butter softened
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced parsley
- ½ teaspoon fresh minced rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Rub the steaks with the olive oil and season all sides with the salt and pepper.
- Let steak rest for 30 minutes at room temperature after seasoning.
- While the steak is resting, add the butter to a small bowl. Use a microplane grater to grate the garlic into the butter. Alternately, use a sharp knife to finely mince and then paste the garlic before adding to the butter.
- Add the parsley, rosemary, and salt to the butter and use a fork to mash everything together until well combined.
- Transfer the butter to a small piece of parchment paper and roll into a small log. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Once steaks have rested, preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees. Add the steaks to the basket and air fry until filets reach the desired doneness. See notes section below for timing.
- Remove the steak from the basket and let rest for 5 minutes before topping with pats of butter and serving.