Air Fryer Meatball Subs are easy to make with meatballs in the air fryer, a hoagie roll, and plenty of sauce and cheese!
That’s why these air fryer meatball subs are always such a hit!
You’ve got toasty bread, saucy meatballs, and plenty of melty cheese. Who can pass that up?
We keep this super simple and start with frozen meatballs. If you want to get a little more involved, you can absolutely make our homemade air fryer meatballs or keep things on the lighter side with our air fryer turkey meatballs! I like a shortcut on a recipe like this, though!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Meatballs – You’ll need 10 frozen meatballs for our recipe which will make two sandwiches. If you’re making more sandwiches, adjust accordingly.
Buns- We use hoagie rolls for our meatball subs. Use whatever variety you like.
Cheese– The star of the show is sliced fresh mozzarella. We also sprinkle on shredded Parmesan cheese.
Marinara– We use and love Rao’s Marinara. It’s the best jarred sauce we’ve found!
Seasonings– We use butter, garlic powder, garlic salt, and a little bit of parsley for additional flavor.
How to Make a Meatball Sub in the Air Fryer:
- Air fry the meatballs– Spritz your air fryer basket with oil and put your frozen meatballs in it. Air fry for 10 minutes at 400 degrees F. Shake the basket halfway through cooking to toss them up a bit for even cooking.
- Sauce the meatballs– Add your meatballs to a bowl and top with marinara. Stir the meatballs to coat.
- Prepare the hoagies– Spread softened butter on the inside of your hoagie roll. Sprinkle garlic powder and garlic salt over the butter. Place your hoagies in the air fryer butter side up and air fry for 1-2 minutes at 400 degrees F.
- Assemble the sandwich– Put meatballs on your toasted hoagies. Add more marinara sauce as desired. Sprinkle the tops of the meatballs with Parmesan cheese and then place slices of mozzarella on top of that. Sprinkle with parsley. Then roll your sandwich in foil and return to the air fryer. Air fry for 3 minutes at 400 degrees F, then serve.
Shop our Favorite Air Fryers!
We’ve tested loads of air fryers over the years and narrowed it down to the best of the best! Whether you’re looking for a basket style air fryer that fits nicely on your countertop or you want the toaster oven style air fryer, we’ve got the recommendation for you!
We use mozzarella and Parmesan cheese, you can also use provolone. Sliced onions and peppers are also delicious!
I usually eat them with potato chips or veggie chips. If you want something more elaborate, pasta salad pairs really well to me!
You can use freshly made meatballs instead of frozen ones! Follow our recipe for air fryer meatballs and just add them in place of the frozen meatballs.
This recipe is easy to customize and use what you have on hand! Try a hamburger bun or some sliced French bread in place of the hoagie roll. Use shredded mozzarella instead of fresh. Add sauteed onions or peppers for some veggies!
More Air Fryer Sandwich Recipes:
- Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Sandwich
- Air Fryer Fish Sandwich
- Pimento Grilled Cheese
- Frozen Turkey Burgers in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Pizza Grilled Cheese
Air Fryer Meatball Sub
- 10 frozen meatballs
- ½ cup marinara warmed, more if desired
- 2 hoagie rolls
- 4 tablespoons softened butter
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- Spritz the air fryer basket with nonstick spray and add the meatballs in a single layer.
- Cook at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, shaking the basket gently halfway through cooking for even browning.
- Add the meatballs to a bowl and top with the marinara. Stir to coat.
- Slice open the hoagie rolls and spread the inside with butter. Sprinkle with the garlic powder and garlic salt.
- Place the hoagie rolls in the air fryer, split open so the butter is facing up, and toast for 1-2 minutes at 400 degrees, until toasted to your liking.
- Remove the rolls from the air fryer and divide the meatballs evenly between each roll. Spoon on extra sauce, as desired.
- Sprinkle the tops of the meatballs with Parmesan cheese and arrange the sliced mozzarella over the top. Sprinkle with the parsley.
- Roll the sandwiches tightly in foil and return to the air fryer.
- Cook for 3 minutes at 400 degrees to warm everything together.
- Serve hot.