We used the air fryer to make a cheesy, toasty Chicken Parmesan Sandwich in minutes! This air fryer sandwich features crispy chicken, flavorful marinara, and plenty of cheese!
This recipe is all about the comfort food! You’ve got chicken parmesan, a classic recipe that definitely qualifies as comfort food. And then you’ve got a grilled cheese with toasty, buttery bread and melty cheese. Put those two together and you’ve got a seriously good chicken parmesan sandwich, straight outta the air fryer!
You could definitely use our air fryer chicken parmesan recipe to make this from scratch, but we kept this sandwich super easy today and made it with a frozen breaded chicken breast filet. It only takes a couple of minutes to prepare and is ready in under 20 minutes which makes it perfect for lunch, an afternoon snack, or even a quick dinner!
If you’ve never made grilled cheese in the air fryer you’ve been missing out! It’s so quick and easy and the bread comes out nice and toasty. We’ve got lots of grilled cheese recipes (see below!) and also some other quick and easy recipes that make good use of frozen chicken. Try out these air fryer frozen chicken strips or air fryer frozen chicken nuggets!
The air fryer is definitely our preferred way to prepare just about any kind of frozen or pre-cooked chicken. It always tastes better than the oven or microwave!
Of course, if you prefer made from scratch recipes, you’ll want to try our air fryer chicken sandwich next. It’s so crispy and juicy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Frozen Chicken – This is meant to be a quick and easy air fryer recipe so we’re using frozen breaded chicken breast filets. You could also use frozen chicken patties!
Bread – We’re sticking with classic white bread and going for a grille cheese vibe, but you could also use a hoagie roll or even our air fryer garlic bread.
Butter – For buttering up the bread! We also sprinkle on a bit of garlic salt to help enhance the savory flavors.
Marinara Sauce – We love Rao’s Marinara but you can use any brand that you prefer!
Cheese – We’re using a mixture of shredded Parmesan and mozzarella for all the cheesy goodness.
We love how simple and satisfying this recipe is! Chicken parmesan and grilled cheese are both classic, favorite comfort food recipes and putting them together just works. Plus, with frozen breaded chicken, it’s so easy! The air fryer gets the cheese nice and melty and the frozen breaded chicken is nice and crispy.
How to Make Chicken Parmesan Sandwich:
- Chicken – To get started spritz your air fryer basket with an oil spray and place the frozen breaded chicken into the basket. Spritz it with a bit of oil too! Air fry for about 10 minutes at 400 degrees for the frozen, breaded chicken breast to get hot and crispy.
- Assemble – When the chicken is ready remove it from the basket and place one of the slices of buttered bread, butter side down, into the basket. Spread some marinara sauce over the bread and sprinkle on half of the shredded parmesan and mozzarella, along with a bit of Italian seasoning.
- Chicken – Arrange the chicken over the cheese and spread the rest of the marinara over the top. Sprinkle with the rest of the cheese.
- Finish – Place the second piece of bread on your sandwich and air fry at 360 degrees. Let it cook for about 4 minutes before carefully flipping it and allowing it to finish cooking for another 3 to 4 minutes, or until the bread is golden and crispy! Serve these chicken parm grilled cheese sandwiches while they’re hot!
Some recipes use mayonnaise instead of butter on the outside of a grilled cheese sandwich. I’m definitely in the butter category but if you don’t have time to wait for the butter to soften the mayo is a good choice and it does a similar job of making the bread nice and crispy!
Serve this sandwich with a side of warmed marinara for dipping, if you like things extra saucy!
Chicken Parm Grilled Cheese Serving Suggestions:
Traditionally chicken parmesan would be served with something like pasta, and that’s still a good choice unless you don’t want to load up on all the carbs with bread and pasta. Try this grilled cheese sandwich with one of these other sides:
- Side Salad
- Tomato Soup
- Marinara Sauce (as a dip)
- Sweet Potato Fries
- Cajun Fried Corn
- Fruit Salad
Shop our Favorite Air Fryers!
We’ve tested loads of air fryers over the years and narrowed it down to the best of the best! Whether you’re looking for a basket style air fryer that fits nicely on your countertop or you want the toaster oven style air fryer, we’ve got the recommendation for you!
While you can store leftovers, this sandwich is best served fresh. Wrap any leftovers in plastic wrap or foil and store in an airtight container in the fridge for about 2 days. Reheat in the air fryer.
More Air Fryer Sandwich Recipes:
- Avocado Grilled Cheese
- Pork Tenderloin Sandwich
- Pizza Grilled Cheese
- Bacon Grilled Cheese
- Air Fryer Fish Sandwich
- Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese
- Garlic Bread Grilled Cheese
- Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese
Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan Sandwich
- 1 frozen breaded chicken breast filet
- 2 slices sandwich bread
- 1 tablespoon softened butter
- Pinch of garlic salt
- 2-3 tablespoons marinara sauce more to taste
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella
- Pinch of Italian seasoning
- Spritz the air fryer basket with oil spray and place the frozen chicken in the basket. Spritz the chicken with oil spray.
- Air fry at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, or until hot and crispy.
- While the chicken is cooking, butter each piece of bread on one side. Sprinkle the butter with garlic salt.
- When the chicken has finished cooking, place one slice of bread, butter side down, in the air fryer basket. Spread 1 tablespoon of marinara sauce over the bread and sprinkle with half of the parmesan and mozzarella. Place the chicken breast over the top and spread the remaining marinara over the top. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Sprinkle the Italian seasoning over the cheese and place the second piece of bread, butter side up, on the sandwich.
- Air fry at 360 degrees for 4 minutes before carefully flipping the sandwich and cooking for 3-4 more minutes or until the bread is golden and crispy.
- Serve hot.